The Effects of Chlorine in Your Drinking Water

The Effects of Chlorine in Your Drinking Water

Do you remember that sickly feeling you felt as a child after a day at the local swimming pool? Or your parents telling you not to swallow the water in the pool? Although the high content of chlorine in your standard swimming pool is necessary for removing diseases and germs carried in the water, ingesting chlorine can cause serious stomach aches and even lead to vomiting and diarrhea. It seems, as always, mother was right.

It’s not only the swimming pool that contains chlorine. It’s also present in the water that comes out of your tap. Drinking tap water and ingesting too much chlorine can give that same nauseating feeling and can be dangerous to your health. However, it is still routinely used to treat our drinking water.

Why is there chlorine in tap water?

Chlorine is a bleaching agent and is used by water treatment plants as a way of removing contaminants from drinking water. If you consider that we collect our drinking water from lakes, reservoirs, streams and underground sources, it’s not hard to imagine the level of contaminants that proliferate within our water sources. Our water sources contain bacteria, microorganisms, pollutants and minerals that can damage our health and, in extreme circumstances, lead to death. Chlorine is able to kill off all of these dangers instantly.

The chlorine in water also helps to keep the water clean as it travels through the underground pipes that connect the water source and our homes. So, chlorine is necessary for the treatment of water and can help to remove a lot of the dangers that lurk within our water sources. However, the question remains: what are the dangers and effects of chlorine in our drinking water? What are the possible side-effects of ingesting even small amounts of chlorine over time?

How much chlorine is in our drinking water?

Drinking chlorine in small amounts might not result in any unwanted side-effects. However, the problem with ensuring that you’re only exposing yourself to the minimum level of chlorine is that it is difficult to know exactly how much there is in your drinking water.

You wouldn’t eat unidentifiable meat or consume alcohol that was unlabelled, so why would you want to ingest water that has unknown quantities of chlorine and other toxins? The only way to ensure that you’re not damaging your body with chlorine is to drink pure, distilled water.

The dangerous side-effects of chlorine

Discovered in 1774 by Carl Wilhelm Scheel, chlorine is a natural poison. In its physical form, chlorine is a highly poisonous green gas that can kill a person when inhaled. Although much safer, the liquid chlorine that is added to our water can still make you incredibly sick when ingested at a high concentration.

Not only is chlorine hazardous for your health; it can also react badly with other minerals that are present in our drinking water. One of the chemicals produced from the combination of chlorine with minerals in drinking water is trihalomethanes. Trihalomethanes is another highly dangerous chemical that has been linked to heart disease, asthma, eczema and cancer. In order to protect yourself from the dangers of chlorine, try ViaFosa’s distilled water; water that is 100% pure of chlorine and all other toxins and chemicals.

(0115) 9622 009 [email protected]
ViaFosa

ViaFosa